Tuesday, April 6, 2010

4/6/10 - Spinning to my little heart's content


I have only recently discovered spinning thanks to the extra special knitsibs I have at my weekly knit night.  They are such a great group and everyone is so talented.  Since there is such a variety of talents in the group, there is a lot of opportunity for learning.  

A few weeks ago we had a spinning night and a bunch of us tried out drop spindles for the first time.  It is actually quite amazing how easy it is, you just have to practice.  Last night was only the second time I've picked up my drop spindle since our group spinning night and I was able to make some good progress on turning a quarter pound of mystery roving (I think it might be alpaca) that my mom got me into a heavy worsted to bulky weight yarn.  

I'm guessing I might have 50+ yards at this point and still have 2/3 of a bag of roving to go.  So, more practice for me and in the end I'll be able to make something small, like a hat or cowl, out of yarn I have spun up myself.  Pretty neat huh?

No comments: